More progress. I've added blocks of wood 6mm below the top of the module ends, cut four lengths for risers and two more lengths to connect the risers. It's fairly light. As suggested to me I screwed the sections together before the glue sets.
Next step is to attach the length connecting the risers... as time allows!
Another small step... I've now glued (or "No More Nails" but we all know it's actually glue) two lengths of 1200mm timber to each module end. The "front" one is set 6mm back from the edge of the module ends to allow 6mm MDF to be attached to it. The next step, once the glue sets, is to screw the lengths to the module ends. I'll do the usual risers to support the track bed.
Here's my rough plan for my first module (TM) based on the bridge just south of the Ohau crossing loop which is itself south of Levin. It's 1.2m long (so should fit in the car), and has a bridge in the middle of it.
Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been busy with other distractions. I'm slowly selling off my 1:64 models and kits I've collected over the years but never got around to building up. Oh well. Keep an eye on TradeMe for things that I'm selling.
Meanwhile, a few weeks ago I acquired two of Mark's Model Works Micro Module End Plates (TM, or MMWMMEP for short). I finally got around to gluing the short section of track between the two notches tonight. Progress!
So, my living and working arrangements are likely to be changing this year, which is highly frustrating as we only moved into our house two years ago and I finally got a garage to build a layout. That means the work I've done so far will have to be disassembled and possibly reassembled when we find a new house.
At the same time I've started to see the appeal of NZ120. For example, train lengths. Despite making the passing loops as long as I could realistically, the trains I can run are limited in length to the point that they don't look realistic. Then there's the cost - NZ120 is far more cost effective than larger scales. There is also, for me, the ability to do more with 3D printing. Putting together the HWT woodchip container model the other day I realised that 3D printing words much better in a smaller scale.
In addition, the Free-mo standards looks pretty good. I could build module(s) able to be transported.